Thursday, December 08, 2005

origins of life...



Destiny’s time unraveled. Far more therapeutic are the questions that are unanswered. Where are the greatest minds of my generation? Are they riding trains from battery to van cortlandt park? Or are they underneath the glare of city lights and vagrant misfits thumbing rides on nowhere trains to nowhere?

Five dollars via paypal to anyone who can tell me what that’s about and whom I be talking about (the first name starts with a).

So, I swore that on this web log I would never discuss what happens at my job. But I’m going to. If you do not want to witness this, then please hang up and come again later. If you are reading on, then you do so at your own risk.

So we have this social studies curriculum and we are supposed to be teaching the little ones about money in the community. I was discussing ways people in the community can earn money (you know: doctors, nurses, firemen, policemen, clerks, drug dealers, and prostitutes).

Well, I asked what people in the students’ families did for work. Before they could answer, a girl asked how we get money when we are first born. I deemed it a fair question and told her that’s why we are born into families—families provide for us, etc. She still had a questioning look. “No Mr. Frandsen (can you believe I’m called Mr. Frandsen?) I mean when we were first born. When there weren’t any parents. Where did the first baby come from? How did it get money? Who made the first baby?”

I paused because I didn’t know quite what to say. “Well, Diamondnique (yes, that is really her name), that’s a very good question and a lot of people have had it. In fact, there was once a boy in the spring of 1820 who had the same questions and he went to a grove of trees to find an answer…”

After that conversation was over, we went to the bathroom, clogged the drains, and dunked all of them.

Ok, so it was all true except for the stuff about the spring of 1820 and Joseph Smith. I told her that indeed it was a good question and many people have had it. Ashley chimed in the God created the first baby. She said that God created everyone. I told the class that indeed, some people believe God created everyone. Ashley looked up at me and said, “Some people? God did create everyone, right?”

I didn’t have to answer because Nyzaiah jumped in, “No, our moms create us.” Nicole helped out as well, “yeah, we come out of here.” Before she could start showing or motioning I stopped the conversation, but I was holding back my laughter (the first time that has ever happened; in fact, it’s the first time I have ever smiled at school. That’s why I decided to write about it).

Um…I think there was something else I was going to write about but now I can’t very well remember. So, I’m going to go to sleep. If skinny reads this then that proves he has no life. You go that skinny? Goodbye all.

Oh, and I realize that these pics have nothing to do with this posting. But what can you do?

31 comments:

Stephen said...

um...there were just a bunch of fireworks on the street outside of our house. does anyone know what's going on????

paul said...

I'm glad you smiled at work.

I'm glad Ashley knows what she knows.

I'm glad you told us about school.

Stephen said...

i'm glad you still read this web log

i'm glad you are having twins

i'm glad you're glad.

don't you think glad is kind of a weird word? look at it and think about it for a while. it surely looks weird.

petey said...

pay pal please.

look at me, i'm raising my hand, i know the answer.

women come from man's ribs. (the metaphoric and symbolic man though)

and i'll take that abraham in my pay pal pocket now.

petey said...

and the fireworks were celebrating the first real snow of this season that would follow the next morning.

how else would the snow bears know to wake and have a pillow fight, a pillow fight, last night, without the wake bang of fireworks??

so light the fireworks and let's celebrate this holiday season...

petey said...

one more: do you think you can light the menorah or the christmas tree lights with fireworks??

that would've made a way better show for the rockefellar ceremony.

nikki said...

Interesting that little kids are actually much smarter and more inquisitive than we give them credit for. I know your job is tough, especially considering where you work and the circumstances in which most of your students live, so it is a tender mercy to have an experience like you did. I admire what you do because I don't think I could.

No fireworks in my hood, but the snow bears came in full force so much so that I had to forfeit my morning run... grrrr.

Stephen said...

petey:

wrong again, my friend. you lose. it is almost the farthes thing from abraham that is possible. his last name starts with g.

nikki: you run?

nikki said...

Yes, I run... but just a little... this weather makes it hard for me to train for Boston. It takes more motivation for me to get up when it's still dark, cold and snowing to run 6-8 miles, but not doing it is not an option. Care to join me?

Stephen said...

um....i would rather die than run. although i did have a tough time at work one day and i came home and bought some running shoes.

paul said...

Stephen,

Seeing as how your parents are YOUR origin of life I think you should be kinder to them when they post on your site...

That's it Brother.

Oh and Nikki, you don't have to be nice to Stephen or his cousin.

Stephen said...

mom and dad: i love it when you post on my web log. i love you both. can't wait to spend the holidays with ya'll.

lafe said...

asome wow cool this rocks

lafe said...

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
awsome


love



lafe
.

nikki said...

Paul,

I know I don't have to be nice to Stephen and his cousin, but it's all part of my master plan... Petey thinks I am pretty conniving and clever, but he has no idea...

Anonymous said...

First off, for all you illiterates out there. Stephen's quote is from Allen Ginsburg (Stephen, I won't take your five dollars because I realize how little teachers make).

Second off, I did indeed read your log so I guess I do have no life, but I am going to go on a date this week moving my grand total for the semester up to 2.5. Not bad huh.

Anonymous said...

hi Paul

Stephen said...

skinny: i take back all bad things i've ever said to you. you are amazing that you could pull out the a.g. quotes and allusions. you are the winner of all winners.

nikki: i like the sound of master plans....

paul: i'm glad to hear amy is doing well.

Anonymous said...

Stephen: We just read your web log for FHE. Thanks for the info. I love little kids. I hope you do, also. Dad

nikki said...

Stephen: My master plan is quite simple... take over the world... and wear jeans every day. The rest - just details.

Stephen said...

dad, definitely don't love them after today. i'll tell you all about it later, when i don't want to kill one of them with my bare hands.

lafe said...

i now wat you said but i made a new post and i oinly have 1 comment so\
wow cool
wow cool
wow cool
wow cool
wow cool
wow cool
wow cool
wow cool
wow cool
wow cool
wow cool
wow cool
wow cool
wow cool
wow cool
wow cool
wow cool
wow cool
wow cool
wow cool

Stephen said...

lafe,
please die.

paul said...

Lafe,

When Stephen says 'please die' he really means 'easeplay ieday' which really means you've 'eased his day' with your pithy comments.

Nikki, your master plan intrigues--I approve as long as it keeps keeps the F-cousins in line.

Stephen, thank you for your words about Amy. We could use your prayers.

Paul

paul said...

My official decision is that AD is decidedly less funny and decidedly more crude in its second season. Except for Tobias that is.

Ahn Yang.

nikki said...

Paul: I do what I can to keep them in line, but they are sort of like wild animals and do not tame easily. As for AD... I have only watched the first disc of season 2, and I thought it was pretty dang funny, especially the episode where Tobias and Gob get run over in the banana suit by mom. We must have watched that scene 4 or 5 times...

Stephen said...

ah yes, nikki. the afternoon delight. it was a very funny episode. you do have to admit that it is somewhat crude (what the afternoon delight, and all0; however, i do not agree with paul that it is any less funny. perhaps it is more crude.

everyone pray for paul and amy.

lafe: you definitely eased my day with your 'pithy comments.' keep it up. you may also wish to take lessons from me on how to get over 20 comments on your web log. awesome wow wow wow wow wow wow.

paul said...

I haven't seen the banana suit scene yet. I think regardless of how funny, a scene like that is, it is probably more funny in a room full of people rather than in a car by yourself on a deserted road in south central Arizona.

Sad, I know.

Stephen said...

no paul, not sad. you are a true and dedicated fan. you are now official.

paul said...

Stephen,

We're fasting for Amy and the twins tonight and tomorrow if you are interested.

Thanks brother.

I look forward to seeing you soon.

Stephen said...

ahhh ight.