Tuesday, July 22, 2008

it's all over now, baby blue.

it turns out this web log has somehow found its way onto a list of blogs authored by my fellow 1999 graduates of spanish fork high school, which is weird. something else triggered my memory of high school last week. my junior year, i was privileged to be a part of the 'golden dawn,' a group headed by mr. michael olson, whose only aim, it seemed, was the downfall of tony johns (this was in retaliation to his constant assailing of Nathan Rees, or NR, in Mr. Clark's 7th (or was it sixth?) grade class). mr. olson was obsessed with the number 44. were he to ever encounter triple fours, it would be as if the oracle at delphi (a constant theme in his classroom) were calling down to give guidance and blessing. obviously then, it would make sense that almost all of mr. olson's essays were 444 words long. to be different, and to show my dedication to jesus, i would write essays 333 words in length. but, when a member of the g.d. showed me the fourth verse of this fourth chapter, i wrote all subsequent essays 444 words long. my high school email address quickly became landslide44@webtv.com. landslide in honor of the smashing pumpkins' cover of fleetwood mac, and the 44 in honor of the naturally-occurring portentousness of the golden number. i think the only person i ever emailed from that account was the pig steve forsey.

what does this all matter? i came to understand the deepness of the universe, and my small, electron-like nature within it, when i saw this sign on broome street last week. mind you, i walked by this place every day for the past year. but it wasn't until last week, until the class of sfhs1999 came back to haunt me, that i realized the address was the only thing that really mattered anymore. and what was $10 to know what the rest of my life would bring me? tell me please, oracle of broome street, am i a pair of ragged claws? do i have a bald spot in the middle of my hair?

21 comments:

Carolina said...

Did you dare go in? And were the women talking of Michelangelo?

Back in my days with Mr. Olsen, he was obsessed with 333. And the pronunciation of the word "height."

Wait until your 10-year reunion; SFHS will haunt you in your sleep.

paul said...

very cool, your psychic experience. timely. eerie.

in my time mr. olsen was obssessed with 'hoity toity' and bob dylan. i don't recall his number of choice at that time.

Kendall said...

Let us go and make our visit...
http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/45829594/new_york_ny/soho_psychic_shop.html

Kendall said...

ahem, let me try that again.

Let us go and make our visit...
http://tinyurl.com/5nofgn

Amy F said...

Stevie... what are you talking about? What kind of craziness was going on at sfhs... back in the day?

You must have gone in. Didn't you???

paul said...

yes kendall, stevie should definitely ask 'tina at soho psychic' what freudian role mr. olsen has played in his life...

Stephen said...

carolina, i will soon dare to go in. in the meantime, i'm eating peaches and mixing my afternoons with coffee spoons. paul, you introduced me to bob dylan with your mtv unplugged album. i still remember listening to 'with god on your side' while sitting in the suburban in the garage. kendall, welcome to the dominion. i'm impressed broome 444 got all positive reviews. amy, i'm talking about the essentials, that's all.

paul said...

we should listen to bob dylan unplugged on the pacific coast.

paul said...

or the atlantic coast...

Carolina said...

Bob Dylan would be much better on the shores of Utah lake.

And I just realized that my first comment was 44 words long.

paul said...

whoa.

Stephen said...

the portentousness of the natural occurring number

Amy F said...

okay, THAT was intentional... not mysterious at all. (dude.)

petey said...

oddly enough I've been really fascinated with intuitionists as well. although I can't comment on any numerology.

Stephen said...

very nice, amy

Skinny said...

mr. olsen is fantastic, actually in my current role i see him quite often as he is the editor of the payson chronicle.

in further news, here i am in the france (martigues to be exact, i believe you might have come here with the folkies) and i am astounded at how much talk there is of mr. obama. if the elections were to take place here, obama would win in a landslide.

Dad (TMF) said...

I should have known.

Carolina said...

Took me a while to get it, Amy. Nice touch.

Stephen said...

another weird thing: barack obama will be our 44th president....

Carolina said...

beware the ides of march, stephen. In 44BC, Julius Caesar uttered the desperate, "Et tu Brute?"

Kendall said...

In standard form, I accidentally posted an error. That was really me that posted about Mr. Caesar, not Carolina.

Kendall